Google Translator

Recommended Links

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Castle Roombox


I'm writing this from Cornwallis in the beautiful province of Nova Scotia... tomorrow we start on the castle roombox but today is still a free day.
My flight yesterday left at 7 in the morning; which meant getting up at 4. I guess we can be forgiven the comedy of errors:
First airport drive round: because we went to arrivals instead of departures.
Second airport drive round: because we went to terminal 1 instead of 3.
Third airport drive round: woohoo made it! (we've only been to the airport 8 times this year, so it's not that we had an excuse other than lack of sleep.) Luckily my flight was reasonably empty so I got to stretch out across 3 seats & sleep during the 1-1/2 hour flight.
One of my classmates, Sharon picked me up & off we went on the 6 hour drive to get to our workshop. This part of Canada is one of the oldest settlement areas so buildings such as these are common:
Don't you just love old doorways? There always seems to be a hint of mystery as to what's on the other side of the door.
The stone that you're seeing on the church is the actually color of the riverbank clay around here.
Nova Scotia is also renown for its artistic communities. Take a look at these gorgeous hooked rugs that I saw at the Fitzpatrick studio. Apparently her work hangs in the National Museum in Ottawa
....not what I thought of as rug hooking! I would so dearly have loved to have bought one but the several thousand dollar cost per rug was quite a ways out of my league.

Every one seems really friendly. I'm reliant on the other ladies with cars to get any where otherwise you'd be inundated with touristy photos. I'm also limited to WiFi access in the mess hall only. Oh did I mention that my workshop is happening on an old military training base? My first time for sleeping in "barracks"!

1 comment:

  1. OMG it looks gorgeous! I've never been to Nova Scotia, but I read the Anne of Green Gables books - Prince Edward Isle is near there, right? You're so lucky to get to go on a mini-class-vacation! You're going to have such a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Always love hearing from you....