Google Translator

Recommended Links

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Christkindl Market Stand - Beginning

I received a German magazine article about a year ago that describes how to build this type of market stall ...including movable shutters.It's a good thing that I know the rudiments of building because the instructions were a bit beyond my language skills. So I mainly worked from the photo and the parts list that showed sizes.
Here's where I am currently. Probably not the best photo...
And here's what I've learned from this build so far:
1. It's easier to work in centimeters than in inches; you can be so much more accurate.
2. In the magazine, the stall is made from scored plywood; I thought it would be more realistic to use craft sticks. Halfway through gluing the floor, I remembered why I swore never to use them again ...none of them are the same exact thickness, most aren't straight and it's almost impossible to get them level without sanding!
About that same time I discovered that our small sander is buried at the back of the garage behind all the patio furniture ....where I can't get to until spring and that our other sander no longer worked. Maybe Santa can bring me sander attachment for my dremel ...hint, hint I've been good, Santa!
I thought that it would be nice to have a decorated Christmas tree in the vignette. The tree at the left came from the Dollar Store. This is the one that I'll decorate while the one on the right which is a Lemax will become part of a tree lot.
This build is so easy I'll have lots of time for all the tiny ornament kits that I've collected.

2 comments:

  1. Looks terrific. I'm sure the fullsize market stalls are a little uneven too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is comming out wonderful!!

    Karin, whenever you need something from Germany, please let me know and I will send it to you. It will be a pleasure for me to help you out.

    Hugs,
    Karin

    ReplyDelete

Always love hearing from you....